NYSLRS’ Special Retirement Plans

NYSLRSCertain PFRS and ERS members are under Special Retirement Plans manages more than 300 retirement plan combinations for its members, which are described in more than 50 plan booklets. But, for all that complexity, they breakdown into just two main types: regular plans and special plans. Under a regular plan, you need to reach certain age and service requirements to receive a pension. For instance, if you’re a Tier 4 member in the Employees’ Retirement System (ERS) with a regular plan, you’re eligible for a benefit when you turn 55 and have five or more years of service credit. Most of our ERS members are in regular plans.

Special plans are a little different. With special plans, NYSLRS members can receive a pension after completing 20 or 25 years of service. There is no age requirement; you can retire at any age once you have the full amount of required service credit. Both ERS and the Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS) have special plans.

Special Plans for Special Services to the State

As of March 31, 2018, seven percent of active ERS members and 98 percent of active PFRS members are in special plans. These members fill roles such as:

  • Police officer;
  • Firefighter;
  • Correction officer;
  • Sheriffs undersheriff, and deputy sheriff; and
  • Security hospital treatment assistant.

Public employees in jobs like these face dangers and difficulties throughout their careers. They fight fires, patrol our neighborhoods, assist ill patients and more. We’d like to take this opportunity to thank them for the challenging, sometimes life-threatening work they do each day.

If you’d like to learn more about your retirement plan, please visit the Publications page of our website and review your plan publication. If you’re not sure which booklet covers your benefits, you can check your Member Annual Statement, ask your employer or send us an email using our secure contact form.

4 thoughts on “NYSLRS’ Special Retirement Plans

  1. Cynthia Jamieson

    I read with great levity the letter from the anonymous retiree, I say levity because I am not able to fully retire at the age of 65, was that meant to be a joke? I was going to retire last year after major surgery but was unable to due to the retirement I had earned. Perhaps you can publish a letter from someone like me who cannot afford it and also I am not allowed to view my retirement wage online as I was told by the local security office this is due to the fact that I withdrew my retirement application. Laughing all the way to a full time job in an effort to save. thankyou

    1. NYSLRS

      A W-2 form is only for current employees. However, if you are a NYSLRS retiree, you may be looking for a 1099-R form for your pension.

      The fastest way to change your address is through Retirement Online. Once you sign in, just find your address under ‘My Profile Information’ and click ‘update’.

      If your new address is a U.S. street address (not a PO box), you can also change it by email, through our secure email form. Please be sure to complete all form fields and provide both your old and new addresses. Filling out the secure form allows us to safely contact you about your personal account information.

      You can also call us toll-free at 1-866-805-0990 (or 518-474-7736 within the Albany, New York area).

      If you haven’t received your 1099-R by mid-February, you can request a reprint through our website, or you can call or email us to request a reprint.

  2. maryloutravis

    I see no mention of nurses being in this classification, of “special” positions.
    I am a Tier 2 employee, as a RN I was permanently injured while working with a child. I have been denied NYS Disability Retirement. My injury has made me physically unable to work as a
    nurse. NYS lawyer stated my injury was not a “”good” injury. It was explained to me that it was a risk of my position to be injured, and my situation was not entitled to NYS Disability.


Leave a Reply